05/12/20 Critical Reflection - Angelo

Thoughts and views on SIE2016 – Effective Communication 

Looking back on the past 13 weeks, I complete this module in the knowledge that I have improved as a student, communicator, and person. When I received my timetable, one week before the academic year started, I scoffed at the words “Effective communication,” dismissing as the same mere English language classes I sat through in my polytechnic years.

Entering the doors of DV-AP-SR2L, I walked in triumphantly but left defeated with the impression that I might learn something useful. I recall the first assignment vividly, a formal letter to Professor Blackstone, where he framed his feedback as “minor language issues.”

From my perspective it felt that I had let myself as writing has always been my passion, I have written political papers and school news articles. Never ever was I placed in a position where I was called out for my run-on sentences, so it was a very humbling experience for me. This made me determined to make full use of module SIE2016 to correct the wrong in my writing. Looking back, I think I am able to say that I write my sentences cautiously in order to avoid run-on sentences.

I also felt that the pitching attempts we had in class were important for my professional development, while I have always felt comfortable in selling ideas to my project mates, selling ideas to a whole group of people felt like a completely different ball game. I remember the first session, where I did not take it too seriously, and it showed when Professor Blackstone outed me on how my loud voice was not in play – a sign that I was not self-confident. For the second round of pitches when the class was split into circles, I really made an effort to internalise my points the day before, and I believe, I myself felt the difference in the quality of my persuasion. This is something that will stick with me in my professional life, be it in engineering or pastures anew.

Another important lesson to be taken from SIE2016 is truly the dynamism of working in teams. Professor Blackstone captured how the professional world will like with its free-flowing personnel changes. Excluding the lesson time spent on technical reports, the professor made it a point to juggle members of the class around, something I believe, simulated the ever-changing faces of the professional world. It is something I deeply appreciated as we were able to see each other’s working style first-hand and to see how we complemented each other. This is reflected in how, when working together to accomplish class tasks, I felt the need to change my speaking styles to get my ideas across different classmates. For example, with the Holy Trinity of my technical report group that was myself, Wei Ying and Jin Yong, I never felt the need to filter my thoughts as they were open-minded people, however, with certain individuals in the class, it was more comfortable for me to keep things straight to the point.

As quoted by James Humes, “The art of communication is the language of leadership.” This module has also geared me to be more prepared for the shifting team dynamics that will happen throughout my university life as most of our groupmates will be assigned to us.

I complete SIE2016 with a renewed sense of optimism that was missing when I first stepped into DV-AP-SR2L. Bring on university life!


Comments

  1. Thanks for the detailed reflection, Angelo.

    Man, we need a better photo --- I was asleep in this one (Sleepy Brad).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, It’s alright, you still look more awake than Creepy Joe

      All the best to you professor. KEEP SIE2016 GREAT!

      Ignore the lamestream media! The results are rigged! If ONLY the legal marks are counted, I would have gotten a distinction (just kidding).

      À bientôt
      Angelo

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts